Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

DIY deodorizers for diaper pails--and anything else

I love having a baby in the house again. They are so much fun! The diaper smell not so much. I gave into the tempation and bought some diaper pail deodorizers at Target. They really helped cut down on that diaper smell. But they were more spendy than I liked. So I was very excited to find a recipe for DIY deodorizers at One Good Thing by Jillee.  I made my own, and they were super easy and super cheap--and they're working very nicely!

Here's how I made them:
  • I gathered my supplies: 2 cups baking soda, 2 cups of water,  some orange essential oil and a silicone mold.
  • I boiled the 2 cups of water for 10 minutes, then let it cool a little bit.
  • I put half of a cup of the boiled water into a bowl and added several drops of the essential oil.
  • Then I added the baking soda and mixed them together, adding a little bit more water until I got a thick paste.
  • I loaded the paste up into the molds.
  • I set the molds on a shelf and let them dry for 36 hours.
  • Then I popped the deodorizers out of the mold and put one of the disks in the diaper pail.
I made hearts because that was the only shape of silicone molds I had--and what says "I love you" more than eliminating the smell of diapers? I also put a deodorizer in the bottom of our kitchen trash can, which always seems to smell. And I put one in the wastebasket of my boys' bathroom, because that second-grade friend who told me that boys stink was sooooo right.
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment